Monday, June 8, 2009

Floating tower of Babel

I'm working on a video piece right now, its coming along fairly well. The concept is drawn from the old testament story of the tower of babel where the people tried to build a tower to get to heaven and God punished them and destroyed the temple. I want to bring it to the present/slash future by incorporating the massive amount of consumerism that goes on in big cities. I almost feel like instead of people trying to get to heaven, they are trying to build their own idea of heaven on earth, and forget all about the prospect of what happens after.


Above I put one building over water, which in this context doesn't represent purification, but instead the sins of the world and also the idea of not being built on solid ground.


Above here I decided to put multiple buildings as some what of a surveillance or big brother type of system. My favorite book is 1984 by George Orwell and so with this video there is definitely even more of a science fiction feel to it. Even though scifi is not my intention, sometimes I think of religion as just a little science fictiony. (I sort of feel bad for saying that.)

My professor compared it to "Castle in the Sky" by Hayao Miyazaki, which for some reason I hadn't heard of and Jerry Ueslmann
who I also hadn't heard of. I sometimes really suck about not hearing about things.
I normally don't do many religious pieces but I thought it was interesting. The stills of the first video will be displayed in a museum in the Osaka Maritime Museum here in Japan this coming week.

I will post the videos when they are done. So check back in for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment