Wednesday, June 10, 2009



With some reluctance I share this particular video because its about "the first time". But we're all adults here right? Its done by jonas odell, he's a pretty talented animator from sweden. "Never like the first time" won the Golden Bear in Berlin back in 2006. This video reminded me of a time, when I couldn't resist asking a friend if after getting married, you know, if "it" was all she hoped it would be and I'll never forget the response. She said "if you are a man then yes, if you are a woman then don't get your hopes up." This video and another video of his called lies, are documentaries, I feel, more than animations. I mean they are animations of course but documentaries are very rich to me because there is no illusion of reality, it is reality. But when they are told through animation, I feel like they connect to the viewers' imaginations. So where as before, maybe you have a hard time imagining what it would be like to be in the person's shoes of who you are watching, but now you are almost forced to imagine it because the visual story telling is only an abstraction of what really happened.
An additional animation different from the first two is called Revolver and I also recommend watching this if you can stand 7 minutes of straight streaming mayhem.

No comments:

Post a Comment